As a foster carer, it is really important that all your insurance policies cover your foster children.

When you become a foster carer you must inform your home and motor insurance company that you foster. You should also take the time to understand and be clear about how fostering children will affect your existing policy or any new insurance policy that you may apply for.

It is important to find out what type of insurance you need and who it needs to cover. FosterTalk membership offers advice and services on household, buildings, and insurance cover; as well as motor insurance.

Members can read our handy guide to foster carers’ home and car insurance, by logging into the website